This workshop explores formative assessment practices that focus students' and teachers' attention on English language development within the context of subject-area classrooms. The purpose is to prepare participants to incorporate new formative language assessment practices into their educational contexts.
This workshop is designed for educators who are already using the WIDA Standards Framework. It provides a great opportunity for teams who work with the same language learners to collaborate. If attending as a team, only one member of the team would need to have extensive experience with the WIDA Standards Framework.
Through reading, observation, discussions, and professional reflection, participants will be prepared to
- Describe students and their learning over time using asset-based language
- Identify relevant formative assessment practices that advance content learning and language development
- Leverage learner roles within disciplinary practices to create opportunities for purposeful language use
- Develop learning goals and success criteria that support content learning and language development
- Design learning tasks that elicit purposeful language use related to success criteria
- Use routines that elicit evidence of learning to inform feedback
35 Participants Maximum