The Foundational Concepts for K-12 Educators eWorkshop expands educator's knowledge using activities with reflective questions to promote discussions and supports around building awareness of ELLs, exploring the WIDA ELD Standards Framework, and promoting taking instructional action in the classroom.
This eWorkshop can assist in building capacity in a school or district around English language learners (ELLs) and English language development within academic settings. There is enough material for two full days of content training for facilitators. The facilitator can determine which activities and steps to use with their PLC.
The eWorkshop includes:
- The Taking Action for ELLs: Foundational Concepts Online Module, which has content that is chunked into three topics:
- Learning interactions
- Download documents and worksheets
- Video clips from a scholar and teachers
- Online Resources for K–12 Educators, including:
- Discussion prompts to influence thinking and dialogue among colleagues
- Participant activities
- Educator reflections
- Video clips from scholars who contribute to the field of ELL education
- Video clips from teachers using best practices
- Suggestions for facilitation and individual use with sample learning agendas
- Ways to approach the training
- Handouts and worksheets to promote reflective thinking
- Organization information including facilitation time, materials needed, reference screens from the module, and suggestions of what to say and do to carry out each activity
- Asynchronous Tutorial for getting started, including:
- Where to locate the resources
- What to do first
- Suggestions for setting up the PLC
- Organization of the module and layout of the companion guide
- Facilitation ideas
Format: All materials are housed in the WIDA eLearning Center, which can be accessed by participants with a WIDA Secure Portal login.
Time to Complete: 10 hours
Audience: K-12 classroom teachers, ESL teachers, school leaders
1. Log in to your WIDA Secure Portal account. Don’t have an account yet? Visit your Member/State page to learn how.
2. Click the “WIDA eLearning Center” tile in the Portal to view available eWorkshops.
3. Complete an eWorkshop and print your certificate.
Questions? Contact the WIDA Client Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-866-276-7735