As teachers, we want to empower multilingual writers, not only to produce successful academic writing, but, more importantly, to communicate effectively to a variety of audiences. We want students to know how to leverage writing as a powerful tool to understand the world, express themselves effectively, learn from one another, and argue for the things they believe in. This vision requires intentional, language-focused instruction and is strengthened when it occurs through authentic writing tasks in the content areas.
In this interactive Academy, we will explore a pedagogical approach that apprentices multilingual learners into writing in various academic genres. Specifically, we’ll look at examples of this in science and consider how this approach develops multilingual learners’ writing skills and their awareness about how writing works. This will allow them to become effective and informed writers not only in science but across content areas. Together, we will explore how to:
- Build content area background knowledge with the whole class so that students are equipped to write knowledgeably about the topic
- Explore the language of mentor texts with students in order to unpack highly valued ways of using language in a specific genre
- Jointly write a text with students based on what was learned from those mentor texts
- Support students as they apply their learning about language choices in a target genre to their independent writing
- Engage students in a cycle of review, reflection and revision to increase the effectiveness of their own writing
Tools and resources in this Academy can easily be adapted for various content areas and grade levels.
Make hotel reservations using the Hilton's booking page.
Registration and costs
Early Bird Price
Register by October 14, 2019
Register by November 11, 2019