Ask Fatima: Remote Testing
This month Fatima answers questions about remote testing.
Can WIDA assessments be administered remotely?
Remote testing considerations
- Both MODEL and Screener require a face-to-face test administration in order to generate valid reading, writing, speaking and listening scores.
- Caveon, a leading company in assessment security and WIDA partner, has observed that: “Online proctoring is far from the security panacea we are often led to believe. Although well-designed proctoring systems — online or on-site — provide useful security features, your tests remain vulnerable to a number of significant security threats that will undermine their validity and trustworthiness.”
- WIDA shares these concerns, and does not support remote administration of WIDA Screener or WIDA MODEL.
- While WIDA does not have official alternatives to remote testing, we can share what one WIDA state has developed:
- Some WIDA schools may prefer to use the above process with the WIDA Speaking and Writing Interpretive Rubrics
- This document may provide additional guidance for making reclassification (exit) decisions for students: Discerning - and Fostering - What English learners Can Do With Language: Guidance on gathering and Interpreting Complementary Evidence of Classroom Language uses for Reclassification Decisions
- And as always, when making decisions about assessments, educators should start with the intended purpose of the assessment and ask several important questions:
- Who will be tested?
- What decisions will be made based on this assessment?
- What other data will inform this decision?
- Who is involved in the decision?
- How can families be engaged as part of this process?
For questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org