Member of the WIDA Consortium since 2007.
Pennsylvania uses WIDA Screener for Kindergarten and WIDA MODEL to identify English Learners (ELs) in kindergarten and WIDA Screener or WIDA MODEL (for Grades 1-12) to identify ELs in grades 1-12. ACCESS for ELLs is given to all ELs during the annual testing window, which typically lasts from January through mid-February.
|10/26/23-11/22/23||Test Materials Ordering Available in AMS (LEAs)|
|12/4/23-3/1/24||WIDA AMS Test Setup Available for Registrations|
|1/3/24-1/4/24||Districts Receive Test Materials|
|1/3/24-2/16/24||Additional Test Materials Ordering Window in WIDA AMS|
|3/6/24||Deadline for Shipping Completed Test Materials to DRC**|
|4/9/24-4/16/24||Pre-Reporting Data Validation – LEAs in WIDA AMS|
|5/24/24||Reports and Data Files Available - Online in WIDA AMS|
|6/11/24-6/12/24||Reports Available in District - Printed|
|9/24/24||Alternate ACCESS Reports and Data Files Available - Online in WIDA AMS|
|10/17/24-10/18/24||Alternate ACCESS Reports Available in District - Printed|
**Do not wait for the deadline to ship materials to DRC. Districts should ship materials back as soon as they complete testing.
Requirements and Resources
See below for state-specific information and resources related to EL assessment, including your state’s ACCESS for ELLs Checklist, where you can find each step in the ACCESS testing process from beginning to end.
- State Testing Requirements
- Pennsylvania students must take the ACCESS for ELLs Online. The paper-based version of ACCESS for ELLs for Grades 1-12 may be given only as an accommodation for students who require it. Kindergarten and Alternate ACCESS remain paper-based.
- LEAs may order a paper-based ACCESS for ELLs test on a student-by-student basis during the ordering process. The decision must be based on the student’s individual needs.
- LEAs facing insurmountable challenges to online testing (e.g.., lack of technology infrastructure) should notify PDE by contacting Bob Measel or Julia Puza as soon as possible.
- Schoolwide administration of the paper test for any reason MUST be approved by the state prior to ordering tests.
- Students in Grades 4-5 handwrite their responses to the Writing domain in a response booklet.
- Only students who are or are likely to be eligible for the state Alternate Assessment (PASA) are eligible for the Alternate ACCESS for ELLs.
- Reclassification, Monitoring and Redesignation Guidance
- Test Preparation and Training
All personnel who will administer a WIDA assessment or screener MUST complete the full training and pass the relevant quizzes before their first administration.
For personnel administering the online ACCESS:
- Complete the full training only once. Annual recertification is not necessary.
For personnel administering PAPER ACCESS or WIDA 1-12 Screeners:
- Complete only the speaking training and pass the relevant quizzes annually after initial certification.
For personnel administering the Kindergarten ACCESS:
- Pass the Kindergarten ACCESS certification quiz annually.
For personnel administering the Kindergarten Screener:
- Pass the oral language and the literacy certification quizzes annually.
Full recertification will be required for test administrators who were involved in any test anomalies during the previous year (e.g., missing tests, student plagiarism, breach of test security, etc.). The local Test Coordinator or EL Coordinator is responsible for tracking test anomalies and ensuring compliance with this requirement.
- Manuals, Guides and Test Materials
- Training and test materials for WIDA Screener can be found in the WIDA Secure Portal. Contact your District Test Coordinator or WIDA Client Services for assistance.
- Identification, reclassification, monitoring, and redesignation procedures are found on the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) website.
- Test Coordinators place ACCESS materials orders via WIDA AMS. DRC will send e-mail updates to District Test Coordinators pertaining to important testing activity dates. DTCs should review these e-mails carefully to ensure that all ACCESS-related tasks are completed accurately and on time.
- 2022-2023 Pennsylvania State Specific Directions
Standards and Instructional Support
The WIDA ELD Standards, 2020 Edition was released in Winter 2020. PDE makes training opportunities available to LEAs. Please check the ESL Portal for more information about state-sponsored training. Also, please check the WIDA website for more information about and resources related to the 2020 Edition. Implementation of the updated standards will be required starting in the summer of 2021. More information will be communicated directly to LEA as it is available.
Professional development offerings and archived resources can be found on the ESL Portal.
ESL Bilingual Education Advisor II/Title III Director
EL/Bilingual Education Content Advisor
WIDA Client Services Center
Contact us for questions about training materials or test administration procedures, classroom resources, or for problems with your WIDA Secure Portal account.
WIDA Secure Portal
Use the WIDA Secure Portal to access test training manuals and resources, as well as Online Professional Learning modules.
- To obtain a new login, contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call (866) 276-7735, or contact your District Test Coordinator.
- New District Test Coordinators should contact WIDA Client Services to obtain a login.
- For assistance with your account, contact the WIDA Client Services Center at email@example.com or call (866) 276-7735.
WIDA Assessment Management System (WIDA AMS)
WIDA AMS is managed by our partner company Data Recognition Corporation (DRC). You can order ACCESS materials, manage your student and test information, and find technology resources and testing software via WIDA AMS.
- To obtain a new login, contact your District Test Coordinator.
- New District Test Coordinators can contact DRC Customer Service to request an account.
- For assistance accessing your account, contact DRC Customer Service at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (855) 787-9615.