WIDA is committed to respecting your right to privacy. Our goal is to provide the greatest transparency concerning the information we collect, and the control that you maintain over your information.
- wida.wisc.edu (main public site)
- portal.wida.us (the WIDA Secure Portal for WIDA Consortium member educators)
- grow.wida.us (secure platform for a segment of WIDA's professional learning courses)
- learn.wida.us (secure site for WIDA's Learning Management System)
Effective February 12, 2019
Table of Contents
- Types of Data and Collection Methods
- How WIDA Uses Data
- How WIDA Shares and Discloses Data
- How WIDA Secures and Stores Data
- Links to Other Websites
- Managing Your Information
- Contact Information
Types of Data and Collection Methods
WIDA collects both information that you give to us and automated data concerning your use of the WIDA Websites.
Data You Provide to WIDA
WIDA protects the identity of visitors by limiting the collection of personally identifiable information. You can use many of our services and their special features without explicitly giving us your personal information.
However, in order to access and interact with many of our services, we require that you provide information to create a WIDA Secure Portal account that allows us to efficiently interact with you. This data may include:
- Email address
- First and last name
- State, district and school affiliation
- Professional interests
- Job function
You may edit this information at any time to change, add or remove it from our services (see Managing Your Information, below).
WIDA occasionally conducts online surveys including customer satisfaction, feedback on our products and services, etc. All surveys are voluntary and you may decline to participate.
Automatically Collected Data
We collect information based on your activities on the WIDA Websites. Through your interactions with our professional learning and training services, we collect information on your progress through and completion of course modules, as well as quiz results.
Web beacons, tags and scripts may be used on our services. These assist us in delivering cookies, counting visits to the WIDA Websites, understanding usage and campaign effectiveness, and determining whether an email has been acted upon.
The types of information we are able to automatically collect using Google Analytics, as a result of your browser setting cookies, includes but is not limited to:
- IP addresses
- Referral sites
- Search terms
For more information on Google Analytics, please visit the Google Analytics website.
How WIDA Uses Data
We process your personal data and automatically collected information about your use of the WIDA Websites to deliver services to you and to inform you of other benefits or opportunities associated with our services. We may also use this information to help us understand our users in order to better tailor our products and services to meet your needs.
Specifically, we use this data to:
- fulfill the delivery of our products and services
- improve our products and services
- monitor the use of our services and gather non-personal information about visitors to our sites
- track general information about the technologies our visitors use, such as web browsers, operating systems, device types and Internet providers
- track information about what pages you visit, how long you are on our sites, how you got there, and what you click on during your visit
- help diagnose problems with our servers and administer our websites
- analyze trends, track visitor movements, and gather broad demographic information that assists us in identifying visitor preferences
- deliver and administer professional learning, record the details of your studies, and determine/confirm your academic achievements
- send you updates and information about our new programs and services, upcoming events or other promotions or news. We will only send you marketing information if you consent to us doing so at the time you provide us with your personal data.
- If you elect to receive marketing communications from us, then we will retain information about your marketing preferences until you opt out of receiving these communications.
How WIDA Shares and Discloses Data
With the limited exception of posting contact information on state pages, we do not post or publish personal information of individuals. You will have the most control over whether your personal data is publicly posted/published on the WIDA Websites. We will post/publish your personal data only if you have given consent that we may do so.
We do not sell or rent your personal data.
We may share your personal and/or automatically collected data with internal University of Wisconsin-Madison units (where WIDA is housed) and external third parties in the following circumstances:
- Your State or Local Educational Agency: To demonstrate compliance with assessment administration training requirements and completion of professional learning course requirements. We only share training/course completion information and scoring on applicable quizzes. We do not, however, share specific answers that you provide in quiz responses. We also may share survey results or other feedback that you have volunteered to provide to us to your state or local educational agency for their use in determining the effectiveness in our training and professional learning programs.
- Vendors and Service Providers: To assist us in meeting business operations needs and to perform certain services and functions, we may share your information with our third-party providers of technical support services, analytics and educator usage insights. These third parties are under contract with us and can only access, process or store your personal data in the course of performing their services for us. Our vendors and service providers are prohibited from using or sharing your personal data for any purpose other than providing their services to us and are prohibited from selling or renting your information to any party.
We encourage you to review the privacy policies of our vendors and service providers, including but not limited to: Wisconsin Center of Educational Products and Services (WCEPS), Wisconsin Center for Education Research (WCER), Data Recognition Corporation (DRC), Center for Applied Linguistics (CAL) and MetriTech.
- Legal Requirements: If required to do so by law pursuant to valid legal process, applicable regulation or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to (i) comply with a legal obligation, (ii) protect and defend the rights or property of the University of Wisconsin-Madison, (iii) act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of you our users, and the public, (iv) in response for requests for public records, as applicable under the Wisconsin Public Records law, or (v) protect us against legal liability.
How WIDA Secures and Stores Data
We take reasonable administrative and technical steps to protect the your information from loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction. Where feasible, systems that solicit or display personally-identifiable information are protected by authentication and authorization controls. Web-based experiences involving personal information are generally secured by SSL (Secure Sockets Layer protocol) with 128-bit encryption. Additionally, we protect your data by restricting access to your Personal Data to only those employees who need to know that information within the scope of duties of their employment. Finally, we train our employees about the importance of confidentiality and maintaining the privacy and security of your information.
All data is stored by WIDA on its servers located at University of Wisconsin-Madison, and on the servers of cloud-based management services that WIDA engages, all located in the United States.
Links to Other Web Sites
Our website may contain links to third-party web sites or services that are not owned or controlled by WIDA. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of any linked website that you visit.
Managing Your Information
You may, at any time, do any of the following:
- Access your Personal Data
- Amend and/or delete your Personal Data
- To unsubscribe from any contact list you sign up for
- Withdraw any consent that you have given at any time
If/when you provide us with Personal Data on our websites, this is done on an entirely voluntary basis. If you choose not to provide the requested information, various customer benefits may not be available to you.
WIDA Secure Portal Accounts
To access and amend your Personal Data on the WIDA Secure Portal (portal.wida.us) at any time, log on to your account and edit your “My Account Info.”
WIDA News eNewsletter
You may manage your WIDA e-newsletter subscriptions by subscribing or unsubscribing at any time on our Newsletter Preferences page. If you have any difficulties managing your newsletter preferences, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All new visitors to the public-facing WIDA website (wida.wisc.edu) have the option to accept or deny cookies. If you do not accept cookies, you may not be able to use some portions of our services. If you wish to delete cookies within your browser, please see your browser's privacy settings. You can also use the Google Analytics Opt-Out Browser Add-on to disable tracking by Google Analytics. For more information about cookies, please visit the All About Cookies website.
WIDA is part of the University of Wisconsin – Madison. WIDA is housed in the Wisconsin Center for Education Research (WCER) in the School of Education.
WIDA at Wisconsin Center for Education Research
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Attn: WIDA Data Privacy
1025 West Johnson Street
Madison, WI 53706-1706
WIDA Copyright Policy
The WIDA web properties are owned by the Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System on behalf of the WIDA Consortium. Content contained in these websites are protected by United States copyright laws and may not be reproduced, modified, or distributed, including posting, without the prior written permission of the Wisconsin Center for Education Research (WCER) and the Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System. Website content is for your personal, noncommercial use only.
We may terminate or suspend access to our non-public websites immediately, without prior notice or liability, for any reason whatsoever, including without limitation if you breach the terms above.
All provisions of these terms which by their nature should survive termination shall survive termination, including, without limitation, ownership provisions, warranty disclaimers, indemnity and limitations of liability.
If you have any questions about these terms, please contact us at email@example.com.
WIDA Accessibility Statement
This statement only applies to this public-facing WIDA website, wida.wisc.edu.
WIDA is committed to:
- Maintaining an accessible website, to the best of our ability with the resources at our disposal
- Working to achieve “Level AA” conformance to the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0, to comply with the National Disability Authority’s Code of Practice on Accessibility of Public Services and Information Provided by Public Bodies.
- Ensuring that all new information on the website will achieve “Level AA” conformance to the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0.
- Including accessibility when we procure 3rd-party systems or upgrades to existing systems.
The WIDA website is designed with many accessibility features, including the following:
- Resizable text
- Compatibility with screen readers
- Long descriptions for complex graphics and infographics
If you have any feedback on the accessibility of our site, please share your thoughts via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.