An assessment to help identify English learners
WIDA Screener is an English language proficiency assessment given to new students in grades K–12 to help educators identify whether they are English learners (ELs). It is a flexible, on-demand assessment that can be administered at any time during the school year. WIDA Screener is available in two formats – online (U.S. only) and paper (U.S. and International).
Key Features of WIDA Screener
- Anchored in the WIDA English Language Development Standards
- Assesses each of the four language domains: Listening, Speaking, Reading, Writing
- Reports proficiency level scores for each language domain and for three composite scores: Oral Language, Literacy and Overall; score reports are produced at the individual student level only (not school, district or state)
- The Screener Online test platform automatically scores the Listening and Reading domains during administration. A trained local rater scores the Speaking and Writing domains.
- Screener Paper is scored locally by trained raters. Listening and Speaking domains are media-delivered.
- Screener for Kindergarten is scored locally by the test administrator.
If a student is identified as an EL, proficiency level scores from WIDA Screener can be used by educators to compare across ELs and to plan differentiated levels of support for each child.
Assessments in the WIDA Screener Suite
WIDA Screener Online
WIDA Screener Online is an English language proficiency assessment given to new students in grades 1–12 to help educators identify whether they are English learners (ELs). It is available for free to WIDA Consortium members.
WIDA Screener Paper
WIDA Screener Paper is an English language proficiency assessment given to new students in grades 1–12 to help educators identify whether they are English learners (ELs). It is available to WIDA Consortium members, and to independent/international schools for purchase in the WIDA Store.
WIDA Screener for Kindergarten
WIDA Screener for Kindergarten is an individually administered paper-and-pencil test that helps educators identify students as English learners (ELs). It is typically given to students one time when they enter your school or district as they start Kindergarten or first grade.