ELD Standards Framework
Set high expectations and ensure equity of opportunity for multilingual learners
The WIDA English Language Development (ELD) Standards Framework provides a foundation for curriculum, instruction and assessment for multilingual learners in kindergarten through grade 12. The ELD Standards Framework is centered on equity and fosters the assets, contributions, and potential of multilingual learners. The framework consists of four components, ranging from broad to narrow in scope: WIDA ELD Standards Statements, Key Language Uses, Language Expectations and Proficiency Level Descriptors. These work together to make a comprehensive picture of language development.
Highlights of the 2020 Edition
- Four Big Ideas anchor the standards and are interwoven throughout the document:
- Equity of opportunity and access
- Integration of content and language
- Collaboration among stakeholders
- Functional approach to language development
- A robust standards framework supports equity and provides a coherent approach to language development
- Grade-level cluster materials represent the WIDA ELD Standards Framework in action
- A sample collaborative planning process for content-language integration offers a jump-off point for curricular conversations
- Six grade-level clusters (K, 1, 2-3, 4-5, 6-8, 9-12) and six proficiency levels correspond with those of ACCESS for ELLs Online
Get the 2020 Edition
Pre-order a printed copy from the WIDA Store.
Promote Content-Driven Language Learning
The WIDA ELD Standards Framework, 2020 Edition, defines the language multilingual learners need as they engage in disciplinary learning. The framework serves as a resource for planning and implementing language curriculum, instruction and assessment for multilingual learners.
Educators can use the framework to
- Promote and guide systematic, explicit, and sustained language development
- Support and frame collaboration among educators to plan for content and language integration in culturally and linguistically sustaining ways
- Monitor multilingual learners’ language growth
- Provide standards-referenced feedback to students and families
The WIDA ELD Standards Statements
The five Standards Statements provide educators with a connection between language development and academic content area learning.
- Standard 1 – Language for Social and Instructional Purposes
English language learners communicate for social and instructional purposes within the school setting.
- Standard 2 – Language for Language Arts
English language learners communicate information, ideas and concepts necessary for academic success in the content area of language arts.
- Standard 3 – Language for Mathematics
English language learners communicate information, ideas and concepts necessary for academic success in the content area of mathematics.
- Standard 4 – Language for Science
English language learners communicate information, ideas and concepts necessary for academic success in the content area of science.
- Standard 5 – Language for Social Studies
English language learners communicate information, ideas and concepts necessary for academic success in the content area of social studies.
2020 Edition Supporting Resources
Overview and Communication Resources
Foundations of the 2020 Edition
- Can Do Philosophy
- Guiding Principles of Language Development (13 languages)
- Illustrated Guiding Principles of Language Development
- Theoretical Foundations (see Appendix F)
Learning Opportunities for Educators
- Q&A Webinar Series
- Q&A Webinar Schedule
- Introduction to the 2020 Edition: Big Ideas and the WIDA ELD Standards Framework (recording)
- Introduction to the Updated Key Language Uses (recording)
- Curricular Considerations: Introduction to Collaborating around the WIDA ELD Standards Framework, 2020 Edition (recording available in March)
- Putting it all together: Next Steps for Utilizing the WIDA ELD Standards Framework, 2020 Edition (recording available in March)
- WIDA U.S.-Based Professional Learning
- International Virtual Institute
Collaboration and equity are two of the “Big Ideas” of the 2020 Edition.
Timeline for Rollout
WIDA Consortium members/states: refer to your department of education’s guidelines for rollout and implementation. Each WIDA member/state determines their own timeline.
WIDA International School Consortium members: refer to independently created timelines and rollout plans developed at your school.
WIDA intends to fully retire the 2012 Amplification of the WIDA English Language Development Standards, Kindergarten-Grade 12. However, we recognize that all member SEAs have different timelines for implementation of the WIDA ELD Standards Framework, 2020 Edition. With that in mind, the 2012 Amplification will remain in the Resource Library so that educators whose SEAs are still using it may access it as needed. The 2007 and 2004 editions are fully retired.