Member of the WIDA Consortium since 2004.
Maine uses WIDA Screener for Kindergarten and WIDA Screener for Grades 1-12 to identify multilingual learners. ACCESS for ELLs is given to all ELs and WIDA Alternate ACCESS is administered to multilingual learners with the most significant cognitive disabilities during the annual assessment window. For dates, please reference below.
Note that WIDA does not offer a screening assessment for PreK at this time. The Maine Department of Education allows districts to use the PreK screening assessment of their choosing. It is recommended to use rigorous criteria when making EL identification decisions in order to ensure that all eligible students are identified appropriately. Contact Jane Armstrong with any questions regarding identification at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|11/28/23-3/1/24||WIDA AMS Test Setup Available for Registrations|
|12/14/23||Districts Receive Test Materials|
|12/14/23-2/23/24||Additional Test Material Ordering Window in WIDA AMS|
|3/12/24||Deadline for Shipping Completed Test Materials to DRC|
|4/30/24||ACCESS Reports and Data Files Available – Online in WIDA AMS|
|5/16/24||ACCESS Reports Available in District – Printed|
|9/13/24||WIDA Alternate ACCESS Reports and Data Files Available – Online in WIDA AMS|
|10/2/24||WIDA Alternate ACCESS Reports Available in District - Printed|
Requirements and Resources
See below for state-specific information and resources related to EL assessment, including your state’s ACCESS for ELLs Checklist, where you can find each step in the ACCESS testing process from beginning to end.
- State Testing Requirements
- Maine students in grades 1-12 participate in the ACCESS for ELLs assessment online. The Kindergarten ACCESS for ELLs remains a paper-based assessment only.
- Paper-based forms are available for students as an IEP accommodation only. If a paper form for ACCESS for ELLs is required, the district ESOL coordinator must complete a paper-based form request prior to November 3, 2023 and email to: email@example.com
- Beginning in 4th grade, students participate in the Writing domain online. Grades 1-3 participate via student writing booklets.
- Test Preparation and Training
- Your personal WIDA Secure Portal account provides access to WIDA Screener and ACCESS training materials.
- Training courses and certification quizzes for ACCESS are located in the WIDA Secure Portal.
- If you are administering ACCESS for ELLs Online, Kindergarten ACCESS, or Alternate ACCESS, recertification is not required. However, Maine DOE recommends Test Administrators refresh their knowledge with available online training resources.
- If you are administering the paper version of ACCESS for ELLs, Maine DOE recommends annual certification.
Standards and Instructional Support
Together with the Maine Learning Results, the WIDA English Language Development Standards Framework, 2020 Edition, forms the foundation for ESOL programs in the state of Maine. All school administrative units (SAUs) are to implement the ELD standards as an essential part of the core instructional program for students who are multilingual learners.
See this Priority Notice that describes the expectations in terms of the process and timeline for implementation of the 2020 Edition. Multiple professional learning opportunities are available to support schools as they work to implement the standards. Contact Jane Armstrong, State ESOL Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org details or to request assistance.
Starting September 1, 2023, educators in Maine have access to WIDA's Self-paced Workshops 2023-24 offerings. All self-paced workshops are free and available in the WIDA Secure Portal. Don't have a WIDA Secure Portal account? Contact WIDA Client Services at 866-276-7735 or email@example.com.
Information about more WIDA workshops sponsored by the Maine DOE, as well as other professional learning opportunities and resources, can be found on the Maine DOE website.
Alternate & WIDA Assessments Coordinator
State ESOL Specialist
WIDA Client Services Center
Contact us for questions about training materials or test administration procedures, classroom resources, or for problems with your WIDA Secure Portal account.
WIDA Secure Portal
Use the WIDA Secure Portal to access test training manuals and resources, as well as Online Professional Learning modules.
- To obtain a new login, contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call (866) 276-7735, or contact your District Test Coordinator.
- For assistance with your account, contact the WIDA Client Services Center at email@example.com or call (866) 276-7735.
WIDA Assessment Management System (WIDA AMS)
WIDA AMS is managed by our partner company Data Recognition Corporation (DRC). You can order ACCESS materials, manage your student and test information, and find technology resources and testing software via WIDA AMS.
- To obtain a new login as a Test Administrator, contact your District Test Coordinator.
- New District Test Coordinators should contact DRC Customer Service at firstname.lastname@example.org to request an account.
- For assistance accessing your account, contact DRC Customer Service at email@example.com or call (855) 787-9615.