Member of the WIDA Consortium since 2006.
Kentucky uses Kindergarten W-APT and WIDA Screener (for Grades 1-12) to identify English language learners (ELLs). ACCESS for ELLs is given to all ELLs during the annual testing window, which typically takes place from the beginning of January through early February.
|10/5/18-11/5/18||Test materials ordering available in AMS (LEAs)|
|11/5/18||SEA loads Pre-ID file into AMS|
|12/6/18-2/8/19||WIDA AMS test setup available for test sessions|
|12/6/18||Districts receive test materials|
|12/6/18-2/4/19||Additional test materials ordering window in AMS|
|2/15/19||Deadline for shipping completed test materials to DRC|
|3/6/19-3/20/19||Pre-reporting data validation – LEAs in AMS|
|4/23/19||Districts receive reports – Online|
|5/3/19||Districts receive reports – Printed|
Requirements and Resources
See below for state-specific information and resources related to ELL assessment, including your state’s ACCESS for ELLs Checklist, where you can find each step in the ACCESS testing process from beginning to end.
State Testing Requirements
The Kentucky State Department of Education strongly encourages Grades 1-12 ELs be administered the online version of ACCESS for ELLs.
Kindergarten and Alternate ACCESS for ELLs will remain paper-based.
Writing Domain (Testing Online)
- For Grades 1-3, the prompts and responses will be entered in the test booklet
- For Grades 4-5, the prompts will be online and responses will be entered in the test booklet
- For Grades 6-12, the prompts and responses will be entered online
Test Preparation and Training
Test Administrators must complete the ACCESS for ELLs Online Training Course and pass the certification quiz with an 80% or higher. The course is located in the WIDA Secure Portal.
If you don’t yet have an account to access the Secure Portal, please contact your state facilitator: Chris Williams, (502) 564-4394 x4750, firstname.lastname@example.org
- You must take the Test Administrator Training Quizzes and receive a passing score of 80% on all applicable quizzes in order to administer ACCESS.
- For ACCESS for ELLs Online (Grades 1-12), you must recertify annually by taking and passing the appropriate certification quiz.
- For Kindergarten and Alternate ACCESS, you must recertify annually by taking the appropriate certification quiz.
For information about upcoming professional learning opportunities in Kentucky, please see the Workshop Registration Chart.
Title III EL/Exceptional Child Consultant
(502) 564-4970 ext. 4103
Assessment Program Consultant
(502) 564-4394 ext. 4750
WIDA Client Services Center
Contact the WIDA Client Services Center for questions about training materials, test administration procedures, classroom resources, or for problems with your WIDA Secure Portal account.
M-F 8am-5pm CT (Apr-Oct)
M-Th 7am-7pm CT, Fri 7am-5pm CT (Nov-Mar)
WIDA Secure Portal
Use the WIDA Secure Portal to access test training manuals and resources, as well as Online Professional Learning modules.
- To obtain a new login, contact Chris Williams at email@example.com or call (502) 564-4394 ext. 4750.
- For assistance with your account, contact the WIDA Client Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (866) 276-7735.
WIDA Assessment Management System (WIDA AMS)
WIDA AMS is managed by our partner company Data Recognition Corporation (DRC). You can order ACCESS materials, manage your student and test information, and find technology resources and testing software via WIDA AMS.
- To obtain a new login, contact your District Assessment or Building Assessment Coordinator.
- New District Assessment Coordinators or Technology Coordinators should contact Chris Williams at email@example.com or call (502) 564-4394 ext. 4750 to request an account.
- For assistance accessing your account, contact DRC Customer Service at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (855) 787-9615.