Member of the WIDA Consortium since 2004.
Maine uses Kindergarten W-APT, WIDA MODEL for Kindergarten, and WIDA Screener (for Grades 1-12) to identify English learners (ELs). ACCESS for ELLs is given to all ELs during the annual testing window, which typically takes place from early January through early March.
Note that WIDA does not offer a screening assessment for PreK at this time. The Maine Department of Education allows districts to use the PreK screening assessment of their choosing, It is recommended to use rigorous criteria when making EL identification decisions in order to ensure that all eligible students are identified appropriately.
|10/15/18-11/14/18||Test materials ordering available in AMS (LEAs)|
|11/30/18-3/4/19||WIDA AMS test setup available for test sessions|
|12/20/18||Districts receive test materials|
|12/20/18-2/22/19||Additional test materials ordering window in AMS|
|3/11/19||Deadline for shipping completed test materials to DRC|
|5/3/19||Districts receive reports – Online|
|5/15/19||Districts receive reports – Printed|
Requirements and Resources
See below for state-specific information and resources related to EL assessment, including your state’s ACCESS for ELLs Checklist, where you can find each step in the ACCESS testing process from beginning to end.
State Testing Requirements
- Maine administers ACCESS for ELLs Online, except for Kindergarten ACCESS, which remains on paper.
- If a district needs to consider ACCESS for ELLs Paper, they must ask the Maine Department of Education (Maine DOE) for permission. Contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To request ACCESS for ELLs Paper for individual students, see Individual Student Paper Test Request ACCESS.
- The Maine DOE assumes any school not submitting a written request will be delivering the assessment online.
- Maine's 4th and 5th grade students keyboard their Writing responses.
Test Preparation and Training
- Your personal WIDA Secure Portal account provides access to Kindergarten W-APT, WIDA Screener and ACCESS training materials.
- Training courses and certification quizzes for ACCESS are located in the WIDA Secure Portal.
- If you are administering ACCESS for ELLs Online, Kindergarten ACCESS, or Alternate ACCESS, recertification is not required. However, Maine DOE recommends Test Administrators refresh their knowledge with available online training resources.
- If you are administering the paper version of ACCESS for ELLs, Maine DOE recommends annual certification.
WIDA Test Coordinator
Interim Assessment Director
WIDA Client Services Center
Contact the WIDA Client Services Center for questions about training materials or test administration procedures, classroom resources, or for problems with your WIDA Secure Portal account.
M-F 8am-5pm CT (Apr-Oct)
M-Th 7am-7pm CT, Fri 7am-5pm CT (Nov-Mar)
WIDA Secure Portal
Use the WIDA Secure Portal to access test training manuals and resources, as well as Online Professional Learning modules.
- To obtain a new login as a Test Administrator, contact email@example.com, call (866) 276-7735, or contact your District Test Coordinator.
- New District Test Coordinators should contact WIDA Client Services to create an account.
- For assistance with your account, contact the WIDA Client Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (866) 276-7735.
WIDA Assessment Management System (WIDA AMS)
WIDA AMS is managed by our partner company Data Recognition Corporation (DRC). You can order ACCESS materials, manage your student and test information, and find technology resources and testing software via WIDA AMS.
- To obtain a new login, contact email@example.com, call (855) 787-9615, or contact your District Test Coordinator.
- New District Test Coordinators should contact DRC Customer Service to create an account.
- For assistance accessing your account, contact DRC Customer Service at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (855) 787-9615.