Member of the WIDA Consortium since 2013.
Michigan uses Kindergarten W-APT and WIDA Screener (for Grades 1-12) to identify English learners (ELs). ACCESS for ELLs is given to all ELs during the annual testing window, which typically lasts from early February through late March.
For WIDA assessment related questions, see Michigan’s WIDA webpage.
When available, please review the WIDA List of Important Dates on Michigan's WIDA webpage for the most up to date information about testing dates.
Additional information about testing dates for the Kindergarten W-APT and the WIDA Screener can be found in the WIDA Screener & W-APT Policy Manual on Michigan’s WIDA webpage.
Requirements and Resources
See below for state-specific information and resources related to EL assessment, including your state’s ACCESS for ELLs Checklist, where you can find each step in the ACCESS testing process from beginning to end.
State Testing Requirements
- Districts and schools that are not yet ready to make the transition to online assessments must submit an Online Testing Waiver through the OEAA Secure Site. Dates by when these requests must be submitted can be found by reviewing the WIDA List of Important Dates at Michigan’s WIDA webpage.
- Schools who are administering ACCESS for ELLs Online may still have students who need to be assessed with the paper version. Refer to the guidance found on the State of Michigan’s WIDA webpage for more information.
- Students in Grades 4-12 who are taking the online test will keyboard their Writing domain responses by default. If needed, LEAs can order Writing Response Booklets during the Additional Materials ordering window if they would like to have students handwrite their responses.
Test Preparation and Training
- Technology Coordinators, Test Administrators and Test Coordinators should review available materials when they are alerted via email from the Office of Educational Assessment and Accountability, the Michigan Department of Education's Spotlight on Student Assessment and Accountability, or from the WIDA Assessment Management System (WIDA AMS).
- District staff may also check with their Intermediate School District (ISD) or Regional Educational Service Agency (RESA) for current training offerings.
- All educators should follow the required training guidance found in the Preparing Yourself and Staff as a Building Coordinator.
Manuals, Guides and Test Materials
Refer to the State of Michigan’s WIDA webpage for the most up to date Michigan specific materials.
Standards and Instructional Support
The WIDA ELD Standards, 2020 Edition, are slated for release in winter 2020. To learn more about Michigan’s timeline for rollout and implementation of the 2020 Edition, please visit www.michigan.gov/mde-el.
For EL, immigrant, identification, programming and instructional services, see Michigan’s Office of Educational Supports.
Professional learning opportunities for Michigan educators can be found by reviewing announcements in the Assessment and Accountability Spotlight Newsletter as well as the monthly Directors Messages from the Office of Educational Supports. If you have specific needs for professional learning, please contact MDE’s staff using the contact information provided on this page.
Early Years Membership
WIDA Early Years Member State since 2019.
For state-specific information about WIDA Early Years professional learning, resources, and other member benefits, visit Michigan Department of Education, Office of Great Start, or contact Shanon Everett at EverettS2@michigan.gov or (517) 335-4092.
EL & Accessibility Assessment Specialist
Special Populations Manager
WIDA Client Services Center
Contact us for questions about training materials or test administration procedures, classroom resources, or for problems with your WIDA Secure Portal account.
WIDA Secure Portal
Use the WIDA Secure Portal to access test training manuals and resources, as well as Online Professional Learning modules.
- To obtain a new login as a Test Administrator, contact your District Test Coordinator.
- New District Test Coordinators should send an e-mail to email@example.com requesting access as a District EL Assessment Coordinator. Please ensure you are identified as the District EL Assessment Coordinator in the Educational Entity Master (EEM).
- For assistance with your account, contact the WIDA Client Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (866) 276-7735.
WIDA Assessment Management System (WIDA AMS)
WIDA AMS is managed by our partner company Data Recognition Corporation (DRC). You can order additional ACCESS materials, manage your test session information, and find technology resources and testing software.
- To obtain a new login, contact your District Test Coordinator. Note: Access to the WIDA AMS site is based on permissions in the OEAA Secure Site. You must have an account on the OEAA Secure Site.
- New District Test Coordinators should contact MDE’s Secure Site Helpdesk for assistance in obtaining an account.
- For assistance accessing your account call 877-560-8378, Option 3 or send an e-mail to email@example.com.