Member of the WIDA Consortium since 2004.
Vermont uses WIDA Screener for Kindergarten, WIDA MODEL for Kindergarten, and WIDA Screener (Grades 1-12) to identify English language learners (ELLs). ACCESS for ELLs is given to all ELLs during the annual testing window, which lasts from early January through early March.
|10/26/22-11/16/22||Test materials ordering available in AMS|
|12/12/22-3/10/23||WIDA AMS test setup available for test sessions|
|1/3/23||Districts receive test materials|
|1/3/23-3/3/23||Additional test materials ordering window in AMS|
|3/17/23||Deadline for shipping completed test materials to DRC|
|4/4/23||Pre-reporting data validation - Data file to SEA|
|4/12/23||Pre-reporting data validation - Data file to DRC|
|5/3/23||Districts receive reports – Online|
|5/15/23||Post-reporting data validation - Data file to SEA|
|5/18/23||Districts receive reports - Printed|
|5/30/23||Post-reporting data validation - Data file to DRC|
Requirements and Resources
See below for state-specific information and resources related to ELL assessment, including your state’s ACCESS for ELLs Checklist, where you can find each step in the ACCESS testing process from beginning to end.
State Testing Requirements
- Students in Grades 1-12 take ACCESS for ELLs Online. Paper-based assessments in Grades 1-12 require pre-approval from the State. Contact Stephanie Vogel at email@example.com for more information.
- Students in Grades 1-3 continue to view the Writing prompt and write their responses in a physical response booklet. This is still considered the online assessment.
- Students in Grades 4-5 keyboard their Writing responses on the test platform.
- Kindergarten and Alternate ACCESS tests remain paper-based.
- DRC sends Writing test booklets for Grades 1-3 with the initial materials order based on the student counts entered into WIDA AMS. Additional response booklets can be ordered if necessary during the Additional Materials Ordering Window.
Test Preparation and Training
- ACCESS training courses and certification quizzes are available in the WIDA Secure Portal. Contact WIDA Client Services for a WIDA Secure Portal account.
- WIDA Screener for Kindergarten and WIDA Screener training and test materials are available in the WIDA Secure Portal. If you need access to training and test materials, contact WIDA Client Services to create a portal account.
- Student and Test Session Management, Testing Software, and Materials Ordering are done through the WIDA Assessment Management System (AMS). If you do not have a WIDA AMS account, contact your DTC.
- To be certified to administer ACCESS, log in to the WIDA Secure Portal. Select the Assessment Training path and find the course details page for the test you are administering. Enroll in the course and view the appropriate training modules and materials for your role. Pass the certification quiz for that assessment.
- Educators are required to certify annually, prior to administration.
Manuals, Guides and Test Materials
- WIDA AMS Supplement: Submit Incomplete Domain - In order to begin the Speaking and Writing domains in ACCESS, students must first take Listening and Reading. If a student is unable to complete the Listening or Reading domain (e.g., due to a disability), districts can submit an incomplete domain to continue to the Speaking and Writing domains. Instructions for this process can be found in the above supplement.
2021-2022 ACCESS Materials Management Guidelines
Standards and Instructional Support
Please find resources and guidance related to our State Standards, including Coordinated Curriculum, Content Areas, Proficiency-Based Learning, Flexible Pathways, Assessments, Adult Education and Lexile and Quantile Frameworks at the Student Learning page of the Agency of Education Website.
Vermont offers a WIDA professional learning option for all educators in our state interested in improving instruction and outcomes for English Learners: on-demand Self-paced Workshops. For full descriptions and intended audiences, view the 2022-23 Self-paced Workshops flyer. You can choose to complete as many of these workshops as you want, when you want, at your own pace in the WIDA Secure Portal.
If you are a classroom teacher, specialist, instructional coach, or school leader who does not already have a WIDA Secure Portal account and you would like to participate or get more information, contact the WIDA Client Services Center to set up an account.
In the fall of 2022, AOE is offering a facilitated workshop, Reading Supports for Multilingual Students. If you’re interested and would like more information, please contact Stephanie Vogel at firstname.lastname@example.org
EL Title III Programs Director
Assessment Coordinator for Special Populations
Contact Linda for questions about accessibility, accommodations and alternate assessments.
WIDA Client Services Center
Contact us for questions about training materials or test administration procedures, classroom resources, or for problems with your WIDA Secure Portal account.
WIDA Secure Portal
Use the WIDA Secure Portal to access test training manuals and resources, as well as Online Professional Learning modules.
- To obtain a new login, contact email@example.com, call (866) 276-7735, or contact your District Test Coordinator.
- New District Test Coordinators should contact the WIDA Client Services Center to obtain an account.
- For assistance with your account, contact the WIDA Client Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (866) 276-7735.
WIDA AMS is managed by our partner company Data Recognition Corporation (DRC). You can order ACCESS materials, manage your student and test information, and find technology resources and testing software via WIDA AMS
- To obtain a new login as a Test Administrator, contact your District Test Coordinator.
- New District Test Coordinators should contact DRC Customer Service to obtain an account.
- For assistance accessing your account, contact DRC Customer Service at email@example.com or call (855) 787-9615.