Member of the WIDA Consortium since 2011.
Montana uses Kindergarten W-APT, WIDA MODEL for Kindergarten, and WIDA Screener (for Grades 1-12) to identify English language learners (ELLs). ACCESS for ELLs is given to all ELLs during the annual testing window, which typically lasts from early December through late January.
|10/25/19||Test materials ordering via Pre-ID file (SEA)|
|11/1/19-1/29/20||WIDA AMS test setup available for test sessions|
|11/22/19||Districts receive test materials|
|11/22/19-1/22/20||Additional test materials ordering window in AMS|
|2/5/20||Deadline for shipping completed test materials to DRC|
|4/24/20||Districts receive reports – Online|
|5/5/20||Districts receive reports – Printed|
Requirements and Resources
See below for state-specific information and resources related to ELL assessment, including your state’s ACCESS for ELLs Checklist, where you can find each step in the ACCESS testing process from beginning to end.
State Testing Requirements
- Montana uses ACCESS for ELLs Online. Alternate and Kindergarten ACCESS are paper-based assessments.
- Students in Grades 4-5 keyboard their responses to the Writing test, but districts may change to a handwriting response mode if more appropriate for their students.
- ACCESS training courses are available through the WIDA Secure Portal. System Test Coordinators create accounts for Test Administrators to access these training courses.
Test Preparation and Training
- ACCESS for ELLs training materials can be found on the WIDA Secure Portal. Contact your System Test Coordinator if you do not have an account on the Secure Portal.
- Kindergarten W-APT and WIDA Screener training and test materials can be accessed through the WIDA Secure Portal. Contact your System Test Coordinator if you need additional permissions to view these materials.
- To be certified to administer WIDA assessments, including ACCESS, you must complete the applicable training modules and receive a passing score of 80% or higher on the relevant quiz(zes).
- You may view your current certifications on your Training Certificate page in the WIDA Secure Portal. Contact your System Test Coordinator to find out whether a physical copy is needed for their records.
- Once you are certified, you do not need to retake the quizzes unless the assessment changes. Check your state’s ACCESS Checklist each fall to find out if you need to recertify. OPI recommends that Test Administrators review the training materials prior to administration, especially for components where the TA will be scoring the responses.
Manuals, Guides and Test Materials
- Montana’s ELLs: Guidance for School Districts – This guide contains state specific information regarding identification and placement, ELL programs and services, ELL assessments in Montana, and state reporting requirements.
- ELL Assessment Guidance
Starting Sept. 1, 2019, educators in Montana have access to WIDA's self-paced eWorkshops. View the eWorkshops flyer for full descriptions and intended audiences.
All eWorkshops are free and available in the eLearning Center in the WIDA Secure Portal. Don't have a WIDA Secure Portal account? Contact the Montana OPI Assessment Team at 1.844.867.2569.
State Assessment Director
Title I/Title III Instructional Coordinator
WIDA Client Services Center
Contact us for questions about training materials or test administration procedures, classroom resources, or for problems with your WIDA Secure Portal account.
WIDA Secure Portal
Use the WIDA Secure Portal to access test training manuals and resources, as well as Online Professional Learning modules.
- To obtain a new login as a Test Administrator, contact your System Test Coordinator.
- New System Test Coordinators should contact Ashley McGrath at email@example.com to create an account.
- For assistance with your account, contact the WIDA Client Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (866) 276-7735.
WIDA Assessment Management System (WIDA AMS)
WIDA AMS is managed by our partner company Data Recognition Corporation (DRC). You can order ACCESS materials, manage your student and test information, and find technology resources and testing software.