Member of the WIDA Consortium since 2006.
North Dakota uses WIDA MODEL for Kindergarten and WIDA Screener (for Grades 1-12) to identify English learners (ELs). ACCESS for ELLs is given to all ELs during the annual testing window, which typically lasts from mid-January through mid-February.
|12/13/19-2/21/20||WIDA AMS test setup available for test sessions|
|1/3/20-1/6/20||Districts receive test materials|
|1/6/20-2/14/20||Additional test materials ordering window in AMS (Contact SEA to order)|
|2/28/20||Deadline for shipping completed test materials to DRC|
|3/16/20-3/27/20||Pre-reporting data validation – LEAs in AMS|
|4/27/20||Districts receive reports – Online|
|5/4/20||Districts receive reports – Printed|
|4/28/20-5/8/20||Post-reporting data validation – LEAs in AMS|
|5/22/20||Data available to state|
Requirements and Resources
See below for state-specific information and resources related to EL assessment, including your state’s ACCESS for ELLs Checklist, where you can find each step in the ACCESS testing process from beginning to end.
State Testing Requirements
North Dakota requires Test Coordinators to maintain their district’s file of all Test Administrators to ensure they are up-to-date with their required training courses and certifications according to the tests they are administering.
State specific guidance on identification and placement can be found on the ND DPI website.
Exit criteria are based on yearly ACCESS scores. To qualify for exit from an EL program, a student must meet minimum scores in EACH of the following areas:
- Overall (Composite) Proficiency Level Score: 5.0
- Proficiency Level Scores of 3.5 on each domain.
Test Preparation and Training
- ACCESS training courses are located in the WIDA Secure Portal. Contact your District Test Coordinator or Lodee Arnold at the NDDPI if you need to create an account.
- To administer ACCESS, Test Administrators must complete the applicable training modules in the WIDA Secure Portal and pass the certification quiz(zes) with a score of 80% or higher.
- To administer WIDA Screener, WIDA MODEL, Online ACCESS Grades 1-3 Writing, or the paper-based version of ACCESS, Test Administrators must hold an EL endorsement.
- Test Administrators must recertify every two years on the applicable Speaking and/or Writing quizzes if scoring locally.
- Test Administrators are not required to recertify each year in other areas, unless they are giving an assessment that requires local scoring.
Manuals, Guides and Test Materials
- ND DPI EL Guidance - Educators in ND can find state-specific guidance on EL screening, assessment, program models, and entrance and exit criteria here.
WIDA Client Services Center
Contact us for questions about training materials or test administration procedures, classroom resources, or for problems with your WIDA Secure Portal account.
WIDA Secure Portal
Use the WIDA Secure Portal to access test training manuals and resources, as well as Online Professional Learning modules.
- To obtain a new login as a Test Administrator, contact your District Test Coordinator.
- New District Test Coordinators should contact Lodee Arnold at firstname.lastname@example.org to create an account.
- For assistance with your account, contact the WIDA Client Services Center at email@example.com or call (866) 276-7735.
WIDA Assessment Management System (WIDA AMS)
WIDA AMS is managed by our partner company Data Recognition Corporation (DRC). You can order ACCESS materials, manage your student and test information, and find technology resources and testing software via WIDA AMS.
- To obtain a new login, contact your District Test Coordinator.
- New District Test Coordinators should contact Lodee Arnold at firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain an account.
- For assistance accessing your account, contact DRC Customer Service at email@example.com or call (855) 787-9615.