Member of the WIDA Consortium since 2005.
New Jersey uses Kindergarten W-APT and WIDA MODEL for Kindergarten. New Jersey uses the WIDA Screener and WIDA MODEL for Grades 1-12 to identify English language learners (ELLs). ACCESS for ELLs is given to all ELLs during the annual testing window, which typically lasts from mid-February through mid-April. Districts can also use the WIDA MODEL for mid-year exits.
|8/10/18||DRC provides 2017-18 site data to SEA|
|8/13/18-10/10/18||SEA provides 2018-19 site changes to DRC|
|11/19/18-1/8/19||Test materials ordering in AMS (LEAs)|
|1/11/19||SEA loads PreID File into AMS|
|1/22/19-4/12/19||WIDA AMS test setup available for test sessions|
|2/14/19||Districts receive test materials (On)|
|2/14/19-4/5/19||Additional test material ordering window in AMS|
|4/17/19||Deadline for shipping completed test materials to DRC|
|5/6/19-5/16/19||Pre-reporting data validation – LEAs in AMS|
|6/13/19||Districts receive reports – Printed and online (On)|
|6/13/19-6/21/19||Post-reporting data validation – LEAs in AMS|
Requirements and Resources
See below for state-specific information and resources related to ELL assessment, including your state’s ACCESS for ELLs Checklist, where you can find each step in the ACCESS testing process from beginning to end.
State Testing Requirements
- ACCESS for ELLs is administered online in New Jersey, except for the Kindergarten and Alternate ACCESS assessments, which remain paper-based.
- If there is a reason a district needs to consider the paper version of ACCESS on a student-by-student basis (i.e., low computer literacy for students) the district can order the paper version through WIDA Assessment Management System (WIDA AMS).
- Students in Grades 4-5 keyboard their Writing domain responses by default.
- If a new student enters the district two weeks or less prior to the test window closing, the student does not need to be tested. Additional questions can be directed to NJ DOE.
- Entrance criteria for new students and state-specific guidance can be found on the NJ DOE website ACCESS 2.0 page.
Test Preparation and Training
- ACCESS training courses can be found on the WIDA Secure Portal. To be certified, test administrators must review the relevant training modules and pass the applicable certification quizzes with a score of 80% or higher.
- Educators can view the ACCESS training courses in the WIDA Secure Portal. Contact WIDA Client Services Center if you do not have an account.
- Kindergarten W-APT and WIDA Screener training and test materials can be viewed on the WIDA Secure Portal. If your account does not have the necessary permissions, contact WIDA Client Services or your District Test Coordinator.
- Test Administrators are not required to recertify if certification was completed for the previous year.
- Proof of certification can be printed out and submitted to your School or District Test Coordinator, or your District Test Coordinator may view proof of certification with the Account Management and Training Status tool.
See a listing of New Jersey Professional Development Offerings on the NJ DOE Bilingual Education website.
Program Development Specialist
Program Development Specialist
WIDA Client Services Center
Contact us for questions about training materials or test administration procedures, classroom resources, or for problems with your WIDA Secure Portal account.
WIDA Secure Portal
Use the WIDA Secure Portal to access test training manuals and resources, as well as Online Professional Learning modules.
- To obtain a new login, contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call (866) 276-7735, or contact your District Test Coordinator.
- New District Test Coordinators should contact WIDA Client Services to request an account.
- For assistance with your account, contact the WIDA Client Services Center at email@example.com or call (866) 276-7735.
WIDA Assessment Management System (WIDA AMS)
WIDA AMS is managed by our partner company Data Recognition Corporation (DRC). You can order ACCESS materials, manage your student and test information, and find technology resources and testing software via WIDA AMS.
- To obtain a new login, contact your District Test Coordinator.
- New District Test Coordinators should contact DRC Customer Service to request an account.
- For assistance accessing your account, contact DRC Customer Service at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (855) 787-9615.