Member of the WIDA Consortium since 2005.
For information regarding the ACCESS for ELLs 2019-2020 Continuing Administration for New Jersey, please refer to the following guidance.
- ACCESS for ELLs Continuing Administration for 2019-2020 DIRECTIONS (WIDA/DRC): This document contains preparation and administration details from WIDA/DRC.
New Jersey uses Kindergarten W-APT and WIDA MODEL for Kindergarten. New Jersey uses the WIDA Screener and WIDA MODEL for Grades 1-12 to identify English language learners (ELLs). ACCESS for ELLs is given to all ELLs during the annual testing window, which typically lasts from mid-February through mid-April. Districts can also use the WIDA MODEL for mid-year exits.
|11/18/19-1/7/20||Test materials ordering in AMS (LEAs)|
|1/21/20-4/10/20||WIDA AMS test setup available for test sessions|
|2/12/20-2/13/20||Districts receive test materials (On)|
|2/13/20-4/3/20||Additional test material ordering window in AMS|
|4/15/20||Deadline for shipping completed test materials to DRC|
|5/4/20-5/14/20||Pre-reporting data validation – LEAs in AMS|
|6/2/20||Districts receive reports – Online|
|6/11/20||Districts receive reports - Printed|
|6/11/20-6/19/20||Post-reporting data validation – LEAs in AMS|
|7/7/20||Data posted in AMS|
Requirements and Resources
See below for state-specific information and resources related to ELL assessment, including your state’s ACCESS for ELLs Checklist, where you can find each step in the ACCESS testing process from beginning to end.
State Testing Requirements
- ACCESS for ELLs is administered online in New Jersey, except for the Kindergarten and Alternate ACCESS assessments, which remain paper-based.
- If there is a reason a district needs to consider the paper version of ACCESS on a student-by-student basis (i.e., low computer literacy for students) the district can order the paper version through WIDA Assessment Management System (WIDA AMS).
- Students in Grades 4-5 keyboard their Writing domain responses by default.
- If a new student enters the district two weeks or less prior to the test window closing, the student does not need to be tested. Additional questions can be directed to the NJ DOE ELL mailbox
- Entrance criteria for new students and state-specific guidance can be found on the NJ DOE website ACCESS 2.0 page.
Test Preparation and Training
- Test Administrator recertification will be required every two years, starting with the 2020-2021 school year.
- Test Administrators who were certified for the online and paper ACCESS tests in 2019-2020 need not re-certify; all others must pass the appropriate administration quiz(zes) with a score of 80% or above.
- ACCESS training courses can be found on the WIDA Secure Portal. To be certified, test administrators must review the relevant training modules and pass the applicable certification quizzes with a score of 80% or higher.
- Proof of certification can be printed out and submitted to your School or District Test Coordinator, or your District Test Coordinator may view proof of certification with the Account Management and Training Status tool.
- Educators can view the ACCESS training courses in the WIDA Secure Portal. Contact WIDA Client Services Center if you do not have an account.
- Kindergarten W-APT and WIDA Screener training and test materials can be viewed on the WIDA Secure Portal. If your account does not have the necessary permissions, contact WIDA Client Services or your District Test Coordinator.
2019-2020 State Specific Directions
Professional Learning will begin as follows:
- Self-paced eWorkshops will begin in September 2020.
- Facilitated virtual workshops will begin in January 2021.
NJ Office of Assessments
Program Development Specialist
Program Development Specialist
WIDA Client Services Center
Contact us for questions about training materials or test administration procedures, classroom resources, or for problems with your WIDA Secure Portal account.
WIDA Secure Portal
Use the WIDA Secure Portal to access test training manuals and resources, as well as Online Professional Learning modules.
- To obtain a new login, contact email@example.com, call (866) 276-7735, or contact your District Test Coordinator.
- New District Test Coordinators should contact WIDA Client Services to request an account.
- For assistance with your account, contact the WIDA Client Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (866) 276-7735.
WIDA Assessment Management System (WIDA AMS)
WIDA AMS is managed by our partner company Data Recognition Corporation (DRC). You can order ACCESS materials, manage your student and test information, and find technology resources and testing software via WIDA AMS.
- To obtain a new login, contact your District Test Coordinator.
- New District Test Coordinators should contact DRC Customer Service to request an account.
- For assistance accessing your account, contact DRC Customer Service at email@example.com or call (855) 787-9615.