Member of the WIDA Consortium since 2009.
New Mexico uses the WIDA Screener for Kindergarten and WIDA Screener Online (for Grades 1-12) to identify English language learners (ELLs). ACCESS for ELLs is given to all ELLs during the annual testing window, which typically lasts from mid-January through mid-March.
|12/10/21-5/27/22||WIDA AMS test setup available for test sessions|
|1/18/22||Districts receive test materials|
|1/18/22-5/20/22||Additional test materials ordering window in AMS|
|6/1/22||Deadline for shipping completed test materials to DRC|
|6/21/22-7/6/22||Pre-reporting data validation - LEAs in AMS|
|8/1/22||Districts receive reports – Online|
|8/1/22-8/12/22||Post-reporting data validation - LEAs in AMS|
|8/11/22||Districts receive reports - Printed|
|8/26/22||Updated data from post-reporting data validation in AMS|
Requirements and Resources
See below for state-specific information and resources related to ELL assessment, including your state’s ACCESS for ELLs Checklist, where you can find each step in the ACCESS testing process from beginning to end.
State Testing Requirements
- New Mexico administers ACCESS for ELLs Online for Grades 1-12.
- Kindergarten and Alternate ACCESS continue to be paper-based assessments.
- Students in Grades 1-3 complete the Writing domain in a paper booklet.
Test Preparation and Training
- Test Administrators for ACCESS for ELLs and/or Kindergarten ACCESS must be licensed teachers/administrators and pass the required certification quizzes with a score of 80% or higher.
- To administer Alternate ACCESS, the Test Administrator must be a licensed special education teacher who is familiar with the student’s needs and communication methods. The Test Administrator must review the materials in the Alternate ACCESS Training Course and pass the certification quiz with a score of 80% or higher.
- ACCESS training courses can be found on the WIDA Secure Portal. Contact your District Test Coordinator if you do not have an account.
- Kindergarten W-APT and WIDA Screener training and test materials can be found on the WIDA Secure Portal. Contact your District Test Coordinator if your account does not have the correct permissions.
- Test Administrators are required to certify annually each school year.
- You may view your proof of certification on your account on the WIDA Secure Portal. Contact your District Test Coordinator to find out if you have to submit physical proof of certification.
Manuals, Guides and Test Materials
WIDA Facilitator Toolkit - Use the resources in this toolkit to help train educators on ACCESS for ELLs, Kindergarten W-APT or the WIDA ELD Standards. Available in the WIDA Secure Portal (login required).
Director, Language and Culture Bureau
New Mexico has opted into the WIDA self-paced eWorkshops, which are now available for use at a local level. Educators who would like to participate in the self-paced eWorkshops should contact the District Learning Coordinator (DLC) for their district/state charter school. For any questions on the process or the DLC, please contact Melissa Hernandez at email@example.com.
Early Years Membership
WIDA Early Years Member State since 2019.
For state-specific information about WIDA Early Years professional learning, resources, and other member benefits visit New Mexico Department of Public Education, Early Childhood or contact Brenda Kofahl at firstname.lastname@example.org or (505) 827-6627.
ACCESS for ELLs
Division Director of Assessment
Deputy Director, Language and Culture Division
WIDA Client Services Center
Contact us for questions about training materials or test administration procedures, classroom resources, or for problems with your WIDA Secure Portal account.
WIDA Secure Portal
Use the WIDA Secure Portal to access test training manuals and resources, as well as Online Professional Learning modules.
- To obtain a new login as a Test Administrator, contact your District Test Coordinator.
- New District Test Coordinators should contact Kirsi Laine at email@example.com.
- For assistance with your account, contact the WIDA Client Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (866) 276-7735.
WIDA Assessment Management System (WIDA AMS)
WIDA AMS is managed by our partner company Data Recognition Corporation (DRC). You can order ACCESS materials, manage your student and test information, and find technology resources and testing software via WIDA AMS.