Member of the WIDA Consortium since 2004.
Rhode Island uses Kindergarten W-APT, WIDA MODEL for Kindergarten, and WIDA Screener (Grades 1-12) to identify English language learners (ELLs). ACCESS for ELLs is given to all ELLs during the annual testing window, which typically lasts from early January through mid-February.
|12/3/19-2/14/20||WIDA AMS test setup available for test sessions|
|1/2/20||Districts receive test materials|
|1/2/20-2/7/20||Additional test materials ordering window in AMS|
|2/26/20||Deadline for shipping completed test materials to DRC|
|4/29/20||Districts receive reports – Online|
|5/8/20||Districts receive reports - Printed|
Requirements and Resources
See below for state-specific information and resources related to ELL assessment, including your state’s ACCESS for ELLs Checklist, where you can find each step in the ACCESS testing process from beginning to end.
State Testing Requirements
- Districts in RI will be administering ACCESS for ELLs Online.
- Districts will also administer Alternate ACCESS for ELLs.
- Rhode Island's 4th and 5th grade students will keyboard their Writing responses.
Test Preparation and Training
- ACCESS training courses are available on the WIDA Secure Portal. Contact your District Test Coordinator or WIDA Client Services Center if you need an account.
- Test Administrators must complete the applicable training course and pass the certification quiz with a score of 80% or higher to be qualified to administer the assessment.
- Rhode Island requires test administrators to complete certification requirements every three (3) years or upon adoption of a new tool.
Manuals and Test Materials
- Kindergarten W-APT and WIDA Screener training and test materials can be found on the WIDA Secure Portal. Contact your District Test Coordinator or WIDA Client Services if your permissions need to be updated.
- Rhode Island Regulations Governing the Education of English Language Learners – This document contains state-specific guidance on ELL-related regulations, programs and services, and evaluation.
- Rhode Island English Learner (EL) Identification Procedure - Use this form to guide you through the identification and placement process.
- Rhode Island ELL Exit Criteria – See this document for state-specific exit criteria for ACCESS.
- Rhode Island Accessibility and Accommodations Policies
Standards and Instructional Support
See the Rhode Island Department of Education Portal for a Five-Module Collaborative Course for School-based teams.
Flavia Molea Baker
EL Coordinator, Title III
Education Specialist, IDEA & Title III
Director, Office for Student, Community, and Academic Supports
WIDA Client Services Center
Contact us for questions about training materials or test administration procedures, classroom resources, or for problems with your WIDA Secure Portal account.
WIDA Secure Portal
Use the WIDA Secure Portal to access test training manuals and resources, as well as Online Professional Learning modules.
- To obtain a new login as a Test Administrator, contact email@example.com, call (866) 276-7735, or contact your District Test Coordinator.
- New District Test Coordinators should contact Emily Klein to request an account.
- For assistance with your account, contact the WIDA Client Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (866) 276-7735.
WIDA AMS is managed by our partner company Data Recognition Corporation (DRC). You can order ACCESS materials, manage your student and test information, and find technology resources and testing software via WIDA AMS.
- To obtain a new login, contact your District Test Coordinator.
- New District Test Coordinators should contact DRC Customer Service to request an account.
- For assistance accessing your account, contact DRC Customer Service at email@example.com or call (855) 787-9615.