ACCESS for ELLs Online
ACCESS for ELLs Online (ACCESS Online) is a computer-based, adaptive test that responds to student performance and may be administered in group or individual settings. This assessment is given annually to students in Grades 1-12. It tests students' language in four domains: Listening, Reading, Speaking, Writing.
ACCESS Online meets U.S. federal requirements under the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) for monitoring and reporting ELLs’ progress toward English language proficiency.
States may choose to offer only ACCESS Paper, while others offer both formats (paper and online).
- Routes students to easier or more challenging content based on their performance; educators do not need to place students into difficulty tiers prior to the test
- Allows for increased student engagement
- Includes built-in accessibility and accommodation features to fit individual students' needs
- Can be administered to groups of students in various grades and at different proficiency levels at the same time
- Ensures standardized, reliable scoring; all domains are centrally scored at DRC by trained raters
- Scores from ACCESS Online can be used to inform instruction and monitor progress of English language learners (ELLs) in a school or district.
Test Administration Times*
Up to 35 minutes
Up to 40 minutes
Up to 30 minutes
Up to 65 minutes
170 minutes total test time