ACCESS for ELLs Online
ACCESS for ELLs Online (ACCESS Online) is a computer-based, adaptive test that responds to student performance and may be administered in group or individual settings. This assessment is given annually to students in grades 1-12.
ACCESS Online meets U.S. federal requirements under the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) for monitoring and reporting ELs’ progress toward English language proficiency. It tests students' language in the four domains: Listening, Reading, Speaking, Writing.
- The online test platform routes students to easier or more challenging content based on their performance.
- The online format promotes increased student engagement.
- Built-in accessibility and accommodation features support individual students' needs.
- ACCESS Online can be administered to groups of students in various grades and at different proficiency levels at the same time.
- Online testing ensures standardized, reliable scoring.
- Domains are scored either automatically by the test platform or by the test vendor's trained raters.
Test Administration Times*
Up to 60 minutes
Up to 65 minutes
Up to 50 minutes
Up to 90 minutes
265 minutes total test time
Preparing for ACCESS
An overview of what’s involved in preparing to administer ACCESS for ELLs, as well as suggestions to help you get your students ready for testing.
Accessibility and Accommodations
Guidance for supporting students with disabilities taking ACCESS for ELLs. Helpful for test administrators and IEP teams.
ACCESS Scores and Reports
An overview of how ACCESS for ELLs tests are scored and how scores can be used. Helpful for test administrators, EL educators, and school, district and state administrators.
Building a WIDA Assessment
Discover what it takes to make a high quality assessment and learn how you can get involved.
Resources for Educators
Get resources specific to your state
State-specific contact information and additional testing resources for WIDA Consortium members.