ACCESS for ELLs Paper
ACCESS for ELLs Paper (ACCESS Paper) is a paper-based test that allows teachers to place students into tiers based on their language proficiency level and may be administered in group or individual settings. This English language proficiency assessment is given annually to students in Grades 1-12. It tests students' language in four domains: Listening, Reading, Speaking, Writing.
ACCESS Paper meets U.S. federal requirements under the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) for monitoring and reporting ELLs’ progress toward English language proficiency.
States may choose to offer only ACCESS Paper, while others offer both formats (paper and online).
- ACCESS Paper is available for situations where a student is unable to test online.
- This assessment is administered to groups of students in one tier and grade-level cluster.
- The Speaking domain is administered individually and scored by the Test Administrator.
- The Listening, Reading, and Writing domains are scored centrally at DRC by trained raters.
- Scores from ACCESS Paper can be used to inform instruction and monitor progress of ELLs in a school or district.
Test Administration Times*
Up to 45 minutes
Up to 40 minutes
Up to 35 minutes
Up to 65 minutes
185 minutes total test time