Founding member of the WIDA Consortium since 2003.
Wisconsin uses Kindergarten W-APT or WIDA MODEL to identify English learners (ELs) for Kindergarten and WIDA Screener for Grades 1-12. ACCESS for ELLs is given to all ELs during the annual testing window, which typically lasts from early December through early February.
|10/1/18||WIDA AMS available for existing and new DACs|
|10/1/18-11/6/18||Non public school upload Pre-ID file into AMS (LEAs & DACs)|
|11/6/18||Materials orders generated by DRC based on Pre-ID Uploads|
|11/13/18-2/1/19||WIDA AMS test setup available for test sessions|
|11/29/18||Districts receive test materials|
|11/29/18-1/25/19||Additional test materials ordering window in AMS|
|2/8/19||Deadline for DRC to receive materials to be scored|
|3/4/19-3/12/19||Pre-reporting data validation – LEAs in AMS|
|4/23/19||Districts receive reports – Online|
|5/3/19||Districts receive reports – Printed|
|4/23/19-5/7/19||Post-reporting data validation – LEAs in AMS|
|5/21/19||Data available to State|
Requirements and Resources
See below for state-specific information and resources related to ELL assessment, including your state’s ACCESS for ELLs Checklist, where you can find each step in the ACCESS testing process from beginning to end.
- State Testing Requirements
- Students in Grades 1-12 will take the online version of ACCESS.
- Students in Grades 1-3 will view the Writing domain prompts and write their responses in a physical response booklet. You do not need to order these booklets separately.
- Students in Grades 4-12 will complete all domains on the computer. If a student does not have sufficient keyboarding skills to respond to the Writing domain, Writing response booklets for Grades 4-12 may be ordered during the Additional Materials Ordering Window.
- Schools may administer the paper-based version to students with an IEP or 504 Plan when the student’s accommodations cannot be met through the online assessment. If paper-based tests for Grades 1-12 are needed, they can be ordered during the Additional Materials Ordering Window.
- Kindergarten ACCESS and Alternate ACCESS remain paper-based assessments.
Questions about entry and exit should be directed to Audrey Lesondak at Audrey.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Test Preparation and Training
- ACCESS training courses are located in the WIDA Secure Portal. Contact your District Assessment Coordinator (DAC) or WIDA Client Services if you do not have an account. If you do not know who your DAC is, you can find this information on the DPI website.
- Kindergarten W-APT and WIDA Screener training and test materials are found in the WIDA Secure Portal. Contact your DAC or WIDA Client Services if your account does not have the necessary permissions.
- Student and test management, testing software, and materials ordering are done in the WIDA Assessment Management System (AMS). If you do not have a WIDA AMS account, contact your DAC.
- To be certified to administer ACCESS, Test Administrators must complete the applicable training course and pass the certification quiz with an 80% or higher.
- Test Administrators are required to pass the applicable ACCESS certification quizzes every two years, unless they will be scoring the Speaking domain which requires annual certification (Paper testing only). Educators who are administering and scoring WIDA Screener are required to certify annually.
- Manuals and Test Materials
Wisconsin will be formally adopting the policies outlined in the Wisconsin EL Policy Handbook over the 2018-19 school year.
DPI offers WIDA professional learning opportunities directly to school districts and CESAs; please contact Audrey Lesondak in the Title III/Bilingual office for more information.
EL Assessment Consultant
Title III/Bilingual Ed
WIDA Client Services Center
Contact the WIDA Client Services Center for questions about training materials or test administration procedures, classroom resources, or for problems with your WIDA Secure Portal account.
M-F 8am-5pm CT (Apr-Oct)
M-Th 7am-7pm CT, Fri 7am-5pm CT (Nov-Mar)
WIDA Secure Portal
Use the WIDA Secure Portal to access test training manuals and resources, as well as online Professional Learning modules.
- To obtain a new login, contact email@example.com, call (866) 276-7735, or contact your District Assessment Coordinator.
- New District Assessment Coordinators should contact WIDA Client Services to obtain an account.
- For assistance with your account, contact the WIDA Client Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (866) 276-7735.
WIDA Assessment Management System (WIDA AMS)
WIDA AMS is managed by our partner company Data Recognition Corporation (DRC). You can order ACCESS materials, manage your student and test information, and find technology resources and testing software via WIDA AMS.
- To obtain a new login, contact your District Assessment Coordinator.
- New District Assessment Coordinators should contact DRC Customer Service to obtain an account.
- For assistance accessing your account, contact DRC Customer Service at email@example.com or call (855) 787-9615.