Member of the WIDA Consortium since 2004.
Alabama uses Kindergarten W-APT, WIDA MODEL for Kindergarten and WIDA Screener Online (through Susan Beard) for Grades 1-12 to identify English language learners (ELLs). ACCESS for ELLs Online is given to all ELLs during the annual testing window, which usually takes place from late January through late March. ACCESS for ELLs Paper administration requires SEA permission (through Susan Beard) and for IEP/504 plan requirements only.
|11/12/18-12/7/18||Test materials ordering available in AMS (LEAs)|
|12/10/18-3/22/19||WIDA AMS test setup available for test sessions|
|1/8/19||Districts receive test materials|
|1/8/19-3/15/19||Additional test materials ordering window in AMS|
|3/29/19||Deadline for shipping completed test materials to DRC|
|4/17/19-4/30/19||Pre-reporting data validation – LEAs in AMS|
|5/29/19||Districts receive reports – Printed and online|
Requirements and Resources
Alabama will test ALL students Online beginning in 2018-19. Systems considering Paper mode must submit the request to Susan Beard (email@example.com) at ALSDE. Specific details by ACCESS for ELLs assessment are as follows:
- Kindergarten ACCESS is paper-based, no SEA permission is needed.
- Alternate ACCESS for ELLs is paper-based, no SEA permission is needed.
- Grades 1-3 are Online testers and must handwrite their Writing responses in a Writing response booklet, no SEA permission is needed.
- Grades 4-5 are Online testers but if unable to keyboard Writing responses may handwrite in the Writing response booklet without SEA permission. Writing response booklets are ordered during the additional test materials ordering window.
- Grades 6-12 are Online testers but if unable to keyboard Writing responses may handwrite in the Writing response booklet without SEA permission. Writing response booklets are ordered during the additional test materials ordering window.
- Students with IEP/504 Plans that specify the student must take the test on paper will be allowed the accommodation. A request must be submitted to Susan Beard at ALSDE.
The sections below provide additional ALSDE information and resources, including the ACCESS for ELLs Checklist where you can find each step in the ACCESS testing process.
The Alabama State Department of Education EL section offers free WIDA professional learning trainings. The ASDE has scheduled the following WIDA professional learning for August 2018.
Program Manager for ACCESS for ELLs 2.0, Alternate ACCESS for ELLs, and Screener Online
Federal Programs Administrator
WIDA Client Services Center
Contact us for questions about training materials, test administration procedures, classroom resources, or for problems with your WIDA Secure Portal account.
WIDA Secure Portal
Use the WIDA Secure Portal to access test training manuals and resources, as well as Online Professional Learning modules.
- To obtain a login, contact your System Test Coordinator. New System Test Coordinators should contact Susan Beard at firstname.lastname@example.org to create an account.
- For assistance with your account, contact the WIDA Client Services Center at email@example.com or call (866) 276-7735.
WIDA Assessment Management System (WIDA AMS)
WIDA AMS is managed by our partner company, Data Recognition Corporation (DRC). You can order ACCESS materials, manage your student and test information, and find technology resources and testing software through WIDA AMS.
- To obtain a new login, contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call (855) 787-9615, or contact your System Test Coordinator.
- New System Test Coordinators should contact Susan Beard at email@example.com to create an account.
- For assistance accessing your account, contact DRC Customer Service at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (855) 787-9615.