Member of the WIDA Consortium since 2004.
Alabama uses Kindergarten W-APT, WIDA MODEL for Kindergarten and WIDA Screener Online (through Susan Beard) for Grades 1-12 to identify English language learners (ELLs). ACCESS for ELLs Online is given to all ELLs during the annual testing window, which usually takes place from late January through late March. ACCESS for ELLs Paper administration requires SEA permission (through Susan Beard) and for IEP/504 plan requirements only.
|11/11/19-12/6/19||Test materials ordering available in AMS (LEAs)|
|12/9/19-3/20/20||WIDA AMS test setup available for test sessions|
|1/7/20||Districts receive test materials|
|1/7/20-3/13/20||Additional test materials ordering window in AMS|
|3/27/20||Deadline for shipping completed test materials to DRC|
|4/16/20-4/29/20||Pre-reporting data validation – LEAs in AMS|
|5/15/20||Districts receive reports – Online|
|5/28/20||Districts receive reports – Printed|
Requirements and Resources
Alabama will continue to test ALL students Online for 2019-2020. Systems considering Paper mode must submit a request to Susan Beard (email@example.com). Specific details are as follows:
- Kindergarten ACCESS is paper-based, no SEA permission is needed.
- Alternate ACCESS for ELLs is paper-based. Students who will take Alternate ACCESS for ELLs must be approved. Contact Susan Beard for further guidance
- Grades 1-3 are Online testers and must handwrite their Writing responses in a Writing response booklet, no SEA permission is needed.
- Grades 4-5 are Online testers but if unable to keyboard Writing responses may handwrite in the Writing response booklet without SEA permission. Writing response booklets are ordered during the additional test materials ordering window.
- Grades 6-12 are Online testers but if unable to keyboard Writing responses may handwrite in the Writing response booklet without SEA permission. Writing response booklets are ordered during the additional test materials ordering window.
- Students who require Large Print do not need SEA permission.
- Students with IEP/504 Plans that specify the student must take the test on paper will be allowed the accommodation. A request must be submitted to Susan Beard at ALSDE.
The sections below provide additional ALSDE information and resources, including the ACCESS for ELLs Checklist where you can find each step in the ACCESS testing process.
Beginning September 1, 2019, educators in Alabama will have the opportunity to participate in six, self-paced, on-demand eWorkshops developed by WIDA; a trusted name in the field of English learner education and assessment. The following eWorkshops will be available in the eLearning Center of the WIDA Secure Portal:
- Using the WIDA Writing Rubric
- Leading for Equity: Classroom Walkthrough
- Classroom Educators: Engaging Newcomer English Learners
- Language for Learning in Mathematics
- Doing and Talking STEM
- Foundational Concepts for K-12 Educators
WIDA eWorkshops cover a range of topics intended for a variety of audiences, from K-12 classroom teachers to English as a Second Language Specialists to district and school administrators. All eWorkshops are FREE and available when and where it is convenient for you!! View the eWorkshops flyer for full eWorkshop descriptions and intended audiences. Contact WIDA Client Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-866-276-7735 to set up your WIDA Secure Portal account today!
Program Manager for ACCESS for ELLs 2.0, Alternate ACCESS for ELLs, and Screener Online
WIDA Client Services Center
Contact us for questions about training materials, test administration procedures, classroom resources, or for problems with your WIDA Secure Portal account.
WIDA Secure Portal
Use the WIDA Secure Portal to access test training manuals and resources, as well as Online Professional Learning modules.
- To obtain a login, contact your System Test Coordinator. New System Test Coordinators should contact Susan Beard at email@example.com to create an account.
- For assistance with your account, contact the WIDA Client Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (866) 276-7735.
WIDA Assessment Management System (WIDA AMS)
WIDA AMS is managed by our partner company, Data Recognition Corporation (DRC). You can order ACCESS materials, manage your student and test information, and find technology resources and testing software through WIDA AMS.
- To obtain a new login, contact email@example.com, call (855) 787-9615, or contact your System Test Coordinator.
- New System Test Coordinators should contact Susan Beard at firstname.lastname@example.org to create an account.
- For assistance accessing your account, contact DRC Customer Service at email@example.com or call (855) 787-9615.