WIDA in Global Contexts
Around the world, educators know that WIDA is more than a test
More and more educators are using WIDA resources to serve multilingual learners in international schools. They appreciate that the components of the WIDA English Language Development Standards Statement, and assessment system align to support both language learning and academic achievement. International educators have shared that using WIDA resources transforms their conversations by helping them discover what their multilingual learners can do.
Learn how to use WIDA resources as a system with WIDA All Year Long, a powerful tool that shows how educators can integrate language and content learning and build on what multilingual learners can do! Download WIDA All Year Long from the WIDA Resource Library.
As a language framework, WIDA complements programs like the International Baccalaureate (IB) used in many schools around the world. To learn more, read the Supporting Multilingual Students with WIDA and International Baccalaureate Resources Focus Bulletin.
The WIDA ELD Standards Framework in Practice
- The Lincoln School in Buenos Aires has used the WIDA English and Spanish Language Development standards to align its bilingual program with the Argentine National Curriculum.
- The American International School of Bucharest has integrated WIDA assessments and resources with the International Baccalaureate program to support the integration of language and content instruction.
- The International Community School in Addis Ababa has integrated WIDA resources with a response to intervention model to create an inclusive learning environment for multilingual school community.
- The Carol Morgan School in Santo Domingo has integrated the WIDA Can Do Philosophy and WIDA assessment tools in order to shift from a pull-out to a collaborative model, co-planning, co-teaching, co-assessing, and co-reflecting to scaffold learning for multilingual students.
- School groups, such as the Qatar Foundation Schools, align teaching and learning with common assessment tools and shared asset-based approaches.
A Community of Schools and Educators
As part of the global WIDA community, members of the International School Consortium are at the forefront of international education by using WIDA resources to develop inclusive programs that build on the assets of all learners. International accreditation agencies, recruiting organizations and regional professional networks recognize WIDA as a research center providing global expertise and leadership for teachers of multilingual learners.
Please watch the video below for additional explanation of the Consortium and how it fits into the larger WIDA system.
Interested in becoming part of our community? Check out our Membership Benefits page to learn more and sign up.
Need a Grade 1-12 Screener?
Check out WIDA’s newest assessment for identifying ELLs – WIDA Screener Paper.
Need an English Language Proficiency Assessment?
WIDA MODEL is a flexible, on-demand suite of English language proficiency assessments for Kindergarten through grade 12.
WIDA International Newsletter
Read about the latest research, program updates and global professional learning opportunities from WIDA as well as news from our member schools.
WIDA International Professional Learning
WIDA offers a variety of professional learning opportunities to support educators of multilingual learners.