COVID-19 Response and Updates
ACCESS for ELLs and WIDA Screener
Check out the What to know: WIDA assessments in 2021-22 school year news article to learn about what's new with WIDA Screener and ACCESS for ELLs.
These WIDA resources provide information on using ACCESS for ELLs and WIDA Screener during the 2020-21 and 2021-22 school years:
- Examining English Learner Testing, Proficiency and Growth: Before and Throughout the COVID-19 Pandemic, a WIDA report that examines and sheds light on the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on English Learners’ educational outcomes.
- WIDA guide to Understanding ACCESS for ELLs 2021 scores.
- WIDA FAQ: ACCESS for ELLs testing in 2020-21 and 2021-22 school years.
- Assessment Best Practices During COVID-19*, a WIDA resource designed to support test coordinators and test administrators administering ACCESS for ELLs and WIDA Screener. This resource can be accessed in the WIDA Secure Portal (valid account required).
*The guidance in this documentation reflects WIDA’s analysis of current best practices. It is not medical advice, and it does not replace or amend any guidance provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), your state, your county or your district.
Interim Assessment and Progress Monitoring
As multilingual learners return to the classroom, educators may need language proficiency data to immediately address the learning needs of students. WIDA MODEL is a flexible, on-demand language proficiency assessment that can be administered at any time during the school year, depending on the needs of the district, school, teacher or student. WIDA MODEL can be used to:
- Serve as an interim assessment during the school year, providing information that informs instructional planning and other decisions related to students' education
- Predict student performance on ACCESS for ELLs and/or guide instructional and curricular decisions while waiting for ACCESS for ELLs score reports
- Determine tier placement on ACCESS for ELLs
WIDA does not support remote administration of WIDA MODEL, as remote administrations risk the validity and reliability of test scores. WIDA has no plans to develop remote administration protocols for these assessments at this time.
Assessment Best Practices During COVID-19 for WIDA MODEL* is a WIDA resource designed to support test coordinators and test administrators administering WIDA MODEL during the COVID-19 pandemic.
*The guidance in this document reflects WIDA’s analysis of current best practices. It is not medical advice, and it does not replace or amend any guidance provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention or your local health authority. Remember to always adhere to health and safety requirements within your school.
Updated October 19, 2021