Back to school 2022–23: Assess, teach, grow with WIDA
Here’s a list of what you need to know about WIDA assessments, educator resources to use in the classroom and professional learning opportunities for the 2022–23 school year.
- For information about ACCESS for ELLs, WIDA MODEL and WIDA Screener, browse the What to know: WIDA assessments in 2022-23 school year news article.
- Did you know… WIDA powers the Advancing ALTELLA project? Did you know… WIDA has a team of specialists and researchers dedicated to accessibility and accommodation work? Did you know... If you read our WIDA at work: Making accessible assessments, resources news article, we won’t say “Did you know” anymore? We’ll also tell you more about the work WIDA is doing to make our resources and tools accessible to all who use them.
- To learn more about how you can use WIDA MODEL to support instructional planning decisions for multilingual learners, read the Using WIDA MODEL to support instructional planning for multilingual learners Focus Bulletin or check out the WIDA MODEL webpage.
- Want to watch a webinar rather than read about WIDA assessments? We have a WIDA Q&A Webinar for you! Head over to the Webinars page in the WIDA Secure Portal for live and recorded webinars on a variety of topics.
- Learn about the WIDA English Language Development Standards Framework, 2020 Edition on the following web pages:
- ELD Standards Framework for an overview of the framework, the Big Ideas and the four components, in addition to links to foundational documents
- The 2020 Edition where we explain why we updated the framework, what’s new and different, resources for rollout and implementation
- ELD Standards Framework Professional Development for links to webinars, the eWorkshop, the International Virtual Institute and related Focus Bulletins
- WIDA ELD Standards Framework, 2020 Digital Explorer provides a digital rendering of the WIDA ELD Standards Framework, 2020 Edition. It categorizes Language Expectations in two ways: (1) Explore by ELD Standard Statement and grade-level Cluster and (2) Explore by Key Language Use and communication mode. Proficiency Level Descriptors (PLDs) can be explored by grade-level Cluster and communication mode.
- We recently enhanced the WIDA Español webpage to be your one-stop shop for valuable resources, professional learning and ways to connect with other teachers. So, if you are an educator of Spanish working with bi/multilingual learners, you’ll want to bookmark this page and check back often!
- Check out the new Spanish language arts framework (Marco ALE). Marco ALE presents the foundational elements of language arts to inform the design of standards and instruction in Spanish for grades K–12. Learn more about Marco ALE and the two supporting documents on the Marco ALE webpage.
- The WIDA Illustrated Guiding Principles of Language Development are now available as a printable poster set! These classroom posters bring each of the 10 guiding principles to life and can be used by educators in classrooms and with parents, families and community members.
- Take a moment to reflect upon your current family engagement practices with the new article It takes more than a village: Challenging the status quo and establishing inclusive family engagement practices (also available en español).
- Visit the Family Engagement webpage for resources to strengthen connections with families. New additions to this page include resources that were recently translated into Dari, Pashto and Ukrainian and a WIDA Snapshot about partnering with families for the purpose of promoting multilingual children's language development.
- Attention science educators! The popular Teacher and Student Discourse Moves are now available in Spanish. Get the free, downloadable documents on the Doing and Talking Math and Science website.
- Brighten your teaching day with WIDA Wallpaper for your computer, tablet or smartphone! Available for download from the WIDA Resource Library in English or Spanish.
- Attend the 2022 WIDA Annual Conference virtually from September 28–30! The virtual program includes three days of live sessions and features two keynote speakers as well as spotlight and concurrent sessions. A recording-only option is also available so you can participate in your own place, at your own pace. Learn more and register on the 2022 WIDA Annual Conference website.
- WIDA eLearning offers two formats of virtual Workshops that allow consortium members/states to bring quality professional learning right to your computer. Learn more about facilitated and self-paced offerings on the eLearning webpage.
- ICYMI (in case you missed it), WIDA has published three new Focus Bulletins this year:
- Peruse the Research webpage to dig deeper into how WIDA experts are leading the way in building knowledge about supporting the academic and social success of multilingual learners.
- Get the best of WIDA in your inbox. We offer several newsletters and informational emails on a variety of topics related to multilingual learners. Subscribe to receive messages from WIDA.
- Follow us on social media. Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to stay up to date on the latest news in multilingual learner education and to enter one of our social media giveaways!
- Join the conversation with thousands of colleagues. The WIDA Educator Exchange Facebook group is a space where approximately 7,000 members exchange ideas, share resources and engage in discussion to support multilingual learners. The Supporting Success for Multilingual Learners with Disabilities Facebook group has more than 1,000 members and focuses on sharing resources and ideas for supporting multilingual learners with disabilities. The WIDA Enseñando en español Facebook group is a brand-new group for educators of Spanish working with bi/multilingual learners. ¡Nos vemos ahí!
If you need anything from WIDA, our Client Services Specialists are just a phone call or email away. All of us at WIDA appreciate you and want to make sure you have what you need to best support students and families.