WIDA provides a flexible suite of tests because we know that no single test is suitable for all students
ACCESS for ELLs
- Is available to WIDA Consortium member states as a primary benefit of membership
- Is administered to Kindergarten through Grade 12 students who have been identified as English language learners (ELLs)
- Is given annually to monitor students' progress in learning academic English
- Meets U.S. federal requirements of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) for monitoring and reporting ELLs’ progress toward English language proficiency
- Is anchored in the WIDA English Language Development Standards
- Assesses the four language domains of Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing
ACCESS is available in both paper and online formats for Grades 1-12. States and districts select a testing format to meet their unique needs and requirements (see your member/state page for state-specific testing requirements). Kindergarten and Alternate ACCESS for ELLs are both paper format tests.
Each ACCESS assessment includes
- On-demand test administrator training
- Downloadable manuals and resources
- Online material management and test coordination
- Online delivery of individual student score reports
Purpose and Use
Test scores can be used
- For accountability purposes
- As benchmarks against which educators can measure future performance
- Aa a measure to make reclassification decisions about whether a student can exit English language support services
- To support decisions about placing students into appropriate classes or groups for instruction, instructional planning
- To show the progress students have made
Educators use ACCESS results, along with other WIDA resources, to make decisions about students' English academic language and to facilitate their language development. Students' ACCESS scores reflect proficiency levels ranging from Level 1 (Entering) to Level 6 (Reaching). WIDA offers many resources to aid in educators' placement decisions and instructional planning, including:
Alternate ACCESS for ELLs scores differ from those of other ACCESS assessments. Please see the Alternate ACCESS for ELLs Scores and Reports page for details.
ACCESS for ELLs Online
ACCESS for ELLs Online (ACCESS Online) is a computer-based, adaptive test that responds to student performance and may be administered in group or individual settings. This assessment is given annually to students in Grades 1-12.
ACCESS for ELLs Paper
ACCESS for ELLs Paper (ACCESS Paper) is a paper-based, semi-adaptive test that may be administered in group or individual settings. This assessment is given annually to students in Grades 1-12.
Kindergarten ACCESS for ELLs
Kindergarten ACCESS for ELLs (Kindergarten ACCESS) is a paper-based test individually administered to Kindergarten students in a game-like, interactive format. This assessment is given annually.
Alternate ACCESS for ELLs
Alternate ACCESS for ELLs (Alternate ACCESS) is a large-print, paper-based test individually administered to students in Grades 1-12 who are identified as English language learners (ELLs) with the most significant cognitive disabilities. Alternate ACCESS is intended for ELLs who participate, or who would be likely to participate, in their state's alternate content assessment(s).